Sahjan ki Sabji
Sahjan (drumsticks) is very popular amongst Bhojpuries, Bengalis, and South Indians. Nutritionally, drumstick pods and leaves are of great value as sources of carotene, calcium, phosphorus and Vitamin C. The leaves, flowers and fruits of drumstick which are used as vegetable have great nutritional value.
* Drumsticks - 6 peeled cut in fingers
* Potatoes-3 medium size, cut in chunks
* Tomatoes-2 finely chopped
* Fenugreek seed-1tsp
* Mustard oil-3tbs
* Coriander leaves-1tbs chopped
* Salt to taste
For Masala paste
* Cumin seed-1tsp
* Coriander Powder-1tsp
* Black pepper-1/2 tsp
* Mustard seed-1 tbs
* Garlic-6 to 7 cloves
* Turmeric powder-1 tsp
* Red chilly powder-1/2tsp or to taste
1. Grind all the masala ingredients with little water and make a smooth paste .
2. Heat 1 tbs of oil in a kadahi and put drumsticks and potato chunks and fry till they become pinkish brown.take out drumsticks and potatoes from the kadahi .
3. Again heat 2 tbs oil and add fenugreek seed when crackled, add masala paste and fry for a while then add chopped tomatoes,salt,drumsticks,and potatoes fry for 5 minutes till oil separates from the corner .
4. Add 3 cups of water and cover the lid and cook till drumsticks become tender(approx 7 to 10 minutes)
5. Remove from fire garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice.or chapaties.